Here in the UK, it's Pancake Day and I would like to share a recipe with you for American style pancakes that are semi healthy and gluten free! I developed this for a friend who is properly allergic to gluten and has unrequited love for pancakes.
This recipe has been developed using ingredients readily available from supermarkets in the UK. If you aren't following a gluten free diet, feel free to try them with self-raising flour instead!
Gluten Free, American Style Coconut Pancakes
150g Dove's Farm gluten free self-raising flour
60g Dessicated coconut
120g whole natural greek style yogurt
175ml Milk or soy milk if preferred (Alpro Vanilla Soy is great for this)
2 lightly beaten egg whites
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp honey or agave nectar
2 Tbsp oat bran
1 tsp sunflower oil
- combine all ingredients above in a medium sized bowl and whisk together until thoroughly combined. Batter will be thick, not runny.
- leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- lightly oil a cast iron skillet (or a non stick flat pancake pan) and place over medium heat.
- when pan is reasonably hot but not smoking, spoon a generous amount onto hot skillet and quickly spread it into a pancake shape with back of spoon.
- once pancake begins to lose its shiny appearance and can be easily lifted with a spatula, flip pancake to other side and continue to cook.
- when pancakes feel firm in the centre, they are done!
- Drown in real maple syrup, butter, sliced banana and/or crispy bacon and enjoy!