Monday 3 May 2010

Happy Bank Holiday Monday!

We all knew going in that this weekend's weather was going to be less than ideal. However, being stuck indoors can have its perks! Especially when you are a baker procrastinating over a deadline and have some yummy Blueberries to use up!

So these are my Bank Holiday Blueberry Babies..I mean Muffins.

Blueberry Muffins

Blueberry Muffins

Blueberry Muffins


I don't normally make muffins in my professional baking repertoire (maybe I should??) so when I needed a good reliable recipe I went to my go-to guide for the classics The King Arthur Baking Companion. I miss using King Arthur Flour, as they really do produce a superior product..but I digress.


Recipe is here
and will work with any yummy seasonal fruit you happen upon in the coming months and can be tweaked in any way you desire! It's very easy and certainly doesn't require much brain power on a sleepy Sunday (or Bank Holiday Monday!) morning to produce excellent results.

The only tweaks I made, were to double the vanilla and I didn't over fill the muffin tin as you would normally to get those mega muffin tops. My blueberries were exceptionally juicy and I had bad visions of spending my Bank Holiday Monday scrubbing exploded blueberries out of my oven. But by all means, go wild! I also decided to make a crumb style top, out of medium oats, brown sugar, butter, flour and cinnamon all rubbed together then drizzled on top before baking. This gave the muffins a fragrant crispy top that so many people love. Again, this a perfect place to experiment with toppings and flavours. Also, a good tip for fruit muffin making in general, always lightly toss your fruit in a little flour before adding to the a batter as it keeps them from sinking to the bottom of your muffins.

Enjoy!

Hope you are having a great day off..

Arianna

No comments: