Saturday 4 July 2009

Summertime and the livin's easy...

There is something about summer when the pure joy of being outside can make you even more excited (if that's possible) about food. BBQ's, Pimm's and Tennis not withstanding, I think the best bit about summer is all the gorgeous fruit you can use to make cakes! Above is my twist on the classic Strawberry Shortcake. The sauce of strawberries, mint and Cointreau served on the side, make for a cool treat to be the heat.

I think even Uncle Sam would be proud of this! Happy 4th of July to all who are celebrating today and especially to Pam, who wouldn't have her dessert any other way than Star Spangled Fabulous ;-)

Even the brownies get a make over in the summer... swirls of cool vanilla cheesecake to temper the rich, dark chocolate. These have been described as 'crack' as they are so addictive, which we of course take as a serious compliment!

Then there is Lemon Meringue Pie..... so refreshing, even during the crazy heat we have been having in London lately.


My personal favourite, Cherry Vanilla Upside Down Cake. I look forward to making this every year just as the short cherry season starts and try not to make it for myself every week until it's over. It's really that good!

Some vanilla cupcakes topped with fresh whipped cream and summer berries... perfect for a picnic!

Hope you all are having a great summer so far, enjoying the clear blue skies, warm weather and the beautiful gardens we are so lucky to have here.

2 comments:

Krafty K said...

These desserts are flat out AMAZING!!! Your creativity seems to not have an end!!! WOW - I am impressed and actually quite hungry for some great sweet treats! Guess I will have to make a trip to London! Congratulations on all of the success - you deserve all of the best in life always! Your Mum

Anonymous said...

That big-ass strawberry shortcake was UNBELIEVABLE!! The best I have ever tasted and I consider myself an expert. The people at the party were stunned. Possibly me and the one other American belting 'My Country Tis Of Thee' added to the drama...but the cake was extraordinary. With the gorgeous macerated strawberries and mint to spoon on top...mmm...had two double-sized portions, representing the great states of TN, NY, IL and NJ! Oh and thanks for the little sparklers too! I asked for corny and you bloody well did it. Excellent! Pam x